Churches from across the BIC family post opportunities as the need arises. If you want to be part of a growing faith community, following Jesus, sharing his message and extending his peace around the world, then you may find just the position you’ve been looking for. You can also find employment opportunities with BIC churches in the United States on the BIC U.S. website.
- Status: Full Time
- Working Hours: Target 40 hours a week (including regular evenings), with one full day off each week.
About The Meeting House
The Meeting House is a church for people who aren’t into church. Our mission is to grow loving communities of Jesus-followers who live & share His irreligious message. We are one church that meets in many locations. On Sunday mornings we meet at 18 different locations across Ontario, & during the week at over 180 home churches. Check out our website for more details: www.themeetinghouse.com
The Lead Pastor is the key point person at each of our Regional Sites, who stewards the overall mission & vision of The Meeting House in the local site context. The number of people connected to one of our sites can range from 200-800. The Lead Pastor’s primary responsibility is to lead & equip people in discipleship. At The Meeting House, we believe the primary vehicles we can use to fuel this process are home church & our Sunday morning services.
What does a Lead Pastor do?
- Model what it means to be a disciple of Jesus
- Equip & encourage leaders & volunteers in the site
- The primary goal is discipleship of leaders & volunteers
- The secondary goal is strong execution of home church, Sunday morning gatherings & local compassion initiatives
- Ensure that leaders are then equipped to lead discipleship of all individuals at the site
- Provide strong leadership development for home church Elders & ministry Coordinators
- Lead & engage the local site in our Transform goals of Grow, Care, Invite (see themeetinghouse.com)
- Create energy, vision & momentum at the site
- Provide upfront hosting on Sunday mornings & at other site-wide events
- Execute key administration related to effective delivery of key programs & initiatives
Practically, how does a Lead Pastor spend his/her time?
- Development of goals & plans for the site
- Team & one-on-one meetings with home church Elders & Coordinators, focused first on discipleship & then on ministry delivery & execution
- Equip leaders for pastoral care in the site community
- Pray for individuals, the church & the region
- Provide triage in pastoral care situations requiring additional support
- Sunday “face of the place,” emceeing the service & hosting the morning
- Manage site administration & tasks
- Regular visits to home churches (most meet in the evening)
- Regular meetings to integrate newcomers to the church, help others take their next step in community & help seekers explore questions of faith
- Train & equip future leaders
- Participate in regular meetings with other Meeting House pastors & staff to learn about what’s happening, share ideas, encourage & pray together
- Input, insight & feedback on The Meeting House plans & programs
- Special services such as baptisms, child dedications, weddings & funerals
- Other duties as assigned (which in the past has included participating in a flash mob, being an extra in a promotional video & wrapping a trailer for a Christmas parade)
- A maker of disciples – You invest in people, & they catch that vision & go on to disciple others.
- A heart for seekers & the unchurched – You care about seeing others come to know Jesus. You love Jesus more than religion & can talk without using Christian lingo.
- Spiritual maturity – You convey a sense of spiritual wisdom, regardless of your age. People come to you for insight into problems & challenges. You are a person of depth.
- Leadership gravitas – You can speak comfortably & naturally in front of large & small groups. Your own personality comes through. People look to you as a leader.
- Relational warmth – People find you approachable and easy to talk to. You are warm & engaging, & clearly care for people.
- Energy – Whether you’re an introvert or extrovert, being around you energizes people. You can cast a vision that gets people excited & motivated.
- Self-starter – You have an ability to get things done. You’ve got a system in place to make sure things don’t fall through the cracks. You follow through on things you say you’ll do. You respond promptly to emails & phone calls.
- Alignment with the core values & beliefs of The Meeting House & our denomination, BIC Canada (candianbic.ca). Among other things, we are a peace church, believe in simplicity & fully affirm women in leadership (we allow men to lead too!). You must become credentialed with the BIC.
- Sense of humour – we take Jesus & His message very seriously, but not ourselves!
What We Offer
You will lead & work alongside amazing people in our community who love Jesus & are learning to put into practice what it means to follow Him. You will join a staff team who genuinely care for each other, love what they do & strive to work to the best of their abilities. None of us are superstars; we just try to authentically follow Jesus together.
We are a fast-paced organization & are willing to try new things and experiment if we think something else will be more effective. We often fail first before finding what works best.
We offer a competitive benefits & pension plan, encourage & support professional development & continued learning, & provide the technological tools required to do the job, including a laptop & smartphone.
With the exception of our pastors who work in our Oakville site, our lead pastors’ office is flexible! They can work from home or from the local coffee shop – wherever makes sense for meetings, planning & getting administrative tasks done.
– The Meeting House is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please go to http://www.themeetinghouse.com/who-we-are/careers/ for more information and instructions on how to apply for this position.
Westheights Community Church
Westheights Church is a vibrant community church located on the west side of the beautiful city of Kitchener ON (Kitchener.ca). The church was planted in the 1970’s when a group of people with a desire to reach out to a rapidly growing area of the city began meeting. Since those early beginnings the Westheights story has been one of growth and innovation as the congregation strives to be a contemporary Anabaptist expression of the kingdom of God in Kitchener – Waterloo. Sunday morning attendance averages 275 with a contemporary worship style, casual dress and an atmosphere of acceptance. Our desire is to help people develop a faith that transforms heart and mind and can be lived out well in daily life. Thoughtful, well delivered and practical Bible teaching is very important to us as is family ministry, global partnerships, and involvement in bringing blessing to our city. We are a mix of all ages with a renewed focus to reach a new generation. We have a recently renovated facility, strong age appropriate programs, a thriving small group ministry, and a gifted staff team. Westheights is part of the Be In Christ Church of Canada with roots in the Anabaptist and Wesleyan traditions.
We are searching for a gifted Lead Pastor who can build on what is in place and lead us into the future. We are looking for a devoted follower of Christ who can enthusiastically embrace the opportunities of life in Kitchener and can move us forward in unified mission. Our preferred candidate would have a demonstrated gift of leadership, experience working in a local church setting, strong preaching / teaching presence, energy and ideas, the skill to lead staff, and an engaging way of relating to people in caring ways. If married – a supportive spouse is essential. An undergraduate degree in Biblical Studies is a minimum requirement.
This is a full time position with a flexible start date. Compensation follows our BIC Canada compensation guidelines with regard to experience and training. The position includes benefits and pension. We ask the Pastor to make their home within a 20-minute drive of the church facility. The candidate must have an understanding and agreement with the statement of faith and values of The Be In Christ Church of Canada and a willingness to be credentialed by and supportive of the work of the denomination. You can find out more about Westheights at westheights.org and the Be In Christ Church Of Canada at canadianbic.ca.
Please submit resumes with accompanying letter of interest by January 31, 2018 to:
Charles Mashinter (Team Leader – BIC Canada Community Churches)
2700 Bristol Circle | Oakville | ON | L6H 6E1
o: 905.339.2335 | c: 905.380.0348 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
While we appreciate all submissions, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.